Thursday, January 28, 2010

Last day in NZ

Today is my last day in New Zealand! It's hard to believe this segment of my trip is already over and I will be flying from Christchurch to Sydney tomorrow morning. Lately, whenever I sit down to write, it seems I am feeling one of two ways. Either I am so mellow in the moment that I simply want to experience the world around me rather than record it or such an abundance of thoughts, memories, and emotions are bubbling inside that choosing which to explore first is overwelming.

I left Dunedin on the Christchurch-bound Atomic Shuttle. We were caught in traffic south of Oamaru and switch buses in Timaru because the air conditioning broke in another bus needed to be returned to Christchurch (we had to ride in the one without). Despite the heat, the delays, for some reason I was utterly happy. I listened to my ipod, journaled, looked at the rolling hills out the window, and let my thoughts roam. One thing I am learning about long-term travel, is my moods do not necessaily correspond to the activity at hand. I may feel homesick during an amazing experience--such as my first sunset in Fiji and then completely content within a mundane one--such as when Laura and I were hanging laundry on the wire clothesline yesterday. And I think I'm starting to roll with those emotional changes more easily. Being on the road for almost half a year, I suppose I better!

No comments:

Post a Comment