Sunday, February 14, 2010

Melbourne...it's growing on me


When I first arrived in Melbourne, I was less than enthused. I just spent several glorious days exploring the picturesque Great Ocean Road and now found myself in a sprawling city of almost 4 million people. Annoyances include the infamous "hook turn" where you can only make a right from the furthest left lane, trams crowded with chatterbox teenage hipsters , and our first hostel which looked suspiciouly like it might have been a Chucky Cheese in a former life. And the girls here are so fashionable, they look like they stepped out of Bazaar magazine, making me feel like my tank top/skirt/flip flop combo isn't quite cutting it. However, these are typical attributes of city life and after a few days, I have some highlights to report--




  • Child street performers: In the last 72 hours, I have seen two sisters under 12 that play better acoustic guitar than I can (well, maybe that's not saying much!), a 7 year old that has got Michael Jackson's dance moves down pat, and an 8 year old playing Billy Joel's "Just the Way You Are" on piano.



  • Queen Victoria Market: Great prices on every kind of produce, fish, bread, dessert you could imagine. A smorgasboard of other items including live ducks, funky clothing, and electronics. I have gotten in the pleasant habit of swinging by there in the mornings for a fresh fruit and yogurt. Yum.

  • New Pakistani Friends at Hostel: I met Sunny and Shayane on the rooftop of the Metro hostel. They were kind enough to share their beer and expertise in astrology as it applies to women and taught me some words in Pashtoon (sp?) as well. Therefore, I will forgive them for loving the Backstreet Boys.


  • St. Kilda Beach Arts Festival: I attended a free hip hop dance workshop. Don't laugh. Ok, do because it was hilarious, especially since I was told to dance on stage and a random old guy was videotaping it.

  • Central Library: Free art exhibition on Melbourne's history of shopping complete with subversive texts on shoplifting techniques through the ages.

  • Brunswick Street: Excellent Indian food and a guitar store where I tried out a flying v shaped ukulele! You can also borrow free bikes from a brewery nearby called Little Creatures.

  • Comics Lounge: Among the garish animal print couches and predictable sex jokes--there were 3 standout performers: Nick Cody, the Nelson Twins, and David Quirk. Check them out.

So, the happy ending to this story is that I am reminded both city and country have their respective delights. And for my remaining days in Melbourne I am going to enjoy them to the fullest!









No comments:

Post a Comment