Tuesday, May 18, 2010

2 countries sharing one town

Cesky Tesin/Cieszyn is an unusual town because half of it lies within the Czech Republic and the other half (Cieszyn) is in Poland. The Olza river separates the two sections of town and you can walk between the two countries over a bridge. The town was divided in 1920 after World War I when Poland and Czechloslovakia were created.

I climb to the top of the Piast Tower for a great view (well, except for the rain) overlooking the two sides of town. The woman at the information center shows me the location of two hotels and two "pensions" (usually a restaurant with lodging above it) I choose, Pod Vesi, a decent deal at 400 czech crowns (about $20) and it is only a few minutes walk from the train station.

My room has tangerine colored walls, a clean bathroom, wooden table, and an old school television--the kind you have to physically push in the rectangular buttons to change one of the 8 available channels! Channels 1 and 4 are Czech news, 2 is Michael Bolton singing in Czech, 5 is some car show in black and white, and channels 3, 6, 7, and 8 don´t work. Hilarious! Unfortunately I do not get much sleep during my stay here due to a rambunctious party downstairs that goes on until after 3am. Oh well.

In the morning, I run along the Olza river and discover the fire department having some kind of competition. Teenagers in firefighter uniforms race down the street with hoses then aim the water stream at red targets while onlookers cheer. I never know what to expect to see on a run. I just wish I had my camera to capture the event!

No comments:

Post a Comment