Friday, May 7, 2010

Budapest, Hungary


The train from Ljubljana to Budapest passes fields of bright yellow canola flowers. Surrounded by green grass and a blue sky, the scene is striking. I meet a Slovenian couple in the carriage next door. Anya co-owns a gallery with her brother and Yarenay is working on a project to turn a collection of comic books into a cartoon. They live together in Lake Bled and are visiting Budapest for the weekend. We end up talking for most of the journey. I discover they are staying at a hostel called Paprika and decide I will stay there as well if they still have vacancies. They do!

Some interesting new friends I meet include:

  • James from the UK who makes declarations such as "I´m not going to be happy until I go home with a love child"and sentences that start with "There´s nothing worse than___" Practicality, being left-handed, and people that refuse to join facebook fall into this category. James has an astounding range of knowledge when it comes to music, and he is not the least bit modest about this talent. Because there is nothing worse than modesty, obviously. James and I wander around Budapest, discussing disappointing ends to otherwise enjoyable movies as we cross the Szchenyi Chain Bridge.
  • Andi owns Paprika hostel. She has a mischeivious cat named Tiger who has a penchant for climbing up on the roof and mewing when he´s stuck. Tiger had to be resuced twice during my three day visit alone. Andi just started running and we enjoyed a leisurely run together on Margaret Island, one of the islands on the Danube in Budapest.
  • Felix works at Paprika. He is originally from Melbourne and teases me about my American accent. He introduces me to the best gyro I have ever eaten at the House of Hummus and does a fantastic impression of a frustrated Italian in front of Saint Stephans Basilica. Felix rounds up the guests for an evening at Morrisons Music Pub. I am usually not one for clubbing, this place is pretty interesting with its multiple level bars and dance floors. We all end up having a rolicking good time. I tore it up to some Lady Gaga, let me tell you.
In a traditional tourist sense, I did not take advantage of all Budapest has to offer. I only visited a few of its gorgeous buildings such as my favorite, the Museum of Applied Arts being my favorite. Nor did I soak in a thermal bath, another supposed Budapest must. (Although other guests said the best outdoor ones were uncomfortably hot this time of year) All I can say is long term travel definitely changes how you spend your time. It becomes exhausting to flit from one must see to the next. Sometimes, I want to gaze upon a beautiful scene and share that with another person. Sometims I just want to chill out, eat some greek salad and goulash, and watch a movie. Sure enough, by the time I move on from Budapest, my homesickness has subsided a bit. Thank you Paprika hostel friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment